Monday, June 9, 2008

Another nod to a great drummer

One track mind? Maybe.

I'm a late comer regarding the discovery of Tony Allen, which my ears were first introduced to him last year via The Good, The Bad & The Queen's debut album. The project consisting of Damon Albarn, Paul Simonon, Simon Tong, and (of course) Mr. Allen himself, blew me away and still sends chills throughout me body listening to it. Tracks "Herculean", "Nature Springs", and "Three Changes" left me hungry for more of Tony's playing.

Acknowledged as the co-founder of the Afrobeat genre (along with one time fellow bandmate in Africa 70, Fela Anikulapo Kuti), Tony has developed a style all his own, fusing the "smörgåsbord" of tribal rhythms from across the continent together. His ability to translate this new sound fluently to each limb individually and play various beats simultaneously leaves me just gobsmacked.

Enough typing. Here's some music featuring Mr. Allen:


Playing with Seun Kuti (son of the late Fela Kuti) and Egypt 80, Roll Back Malaria concert in Dakar, March 15, 2005


GBQ, "Nature Springs", The Henry Rollins Show, July 27, 2007

No comments: