Saturday, October 31, 2009

Brooklyn boy did good


1946-2009

On the sixteenth of October an extraordinary man went into the long night. Richard Penna was one of humanity's finest. He will stay in my heart for the rest of my life.

Addendum: For a couple of weeks I've struggled to write something that wouldn't come across as a third grade book report, emotionless and just listing the facts. I also wanted to convey what made him such a wonderful person, but I can't seem to sufficiently describe my memories and thoughts of him. There is also guilt that I failed to stay in contact with him for nearly a decade and sorry that I did not establish a stronger relation with someone who left such a huge and indelible print in my life, whether he knew it or not. In the end, three sentences are not enough for a man who genuinely cared for people and would help anyone in need without question. Richard's selflessness was not a put-on. He was the real deal.

2 comments:

The Stash Dauber said...

sounds like a good cat.

Grubbermeister said...

He was. Richard would light up any room just with his presence.