Thursday, December 24, 2009

White winter

Carey and I had Christmas lunch at my mother's house with her (obviously), my aunt, uncle, and cousin. Driving back home was considerably worse than when we arrived, as it continually snowed and rained ice pellets throughout the duration of our stay, driven by a strong northerly wind. Without steady traffic and road crews the wintry mix accumulated on the rural roads, making the trip home a slow, arduous process. Snow drifts up to six inches deep greeted us at our front and back doors, with little mounds of the seasonal powder accenting the windows.

Deciding to brave the weather and roads to celebrate Christmas with her uncles from New Zealand, Carey went to Dallas and is spending the night at her mother's. We'll have our present gorging tomorrow evening.

When I went to feed Roman dinner around five I found a huge tree that had fallen into his pen which snapped into two sections around twelve to fifteen feet each. Forty minutes with a blunt axe reduced the oak into manageable pieces. It was still snowing heavily, and heading back towards the house I noticed that my footpath in the two to three inch deep snow was already filled in with a fresh batch.

Now? Laundry and watching Gavin & Stacy Christmas Special.

3 comments:

The Stash Dauber said...

Someone like me -- e.g., an extremely lazy person -- could never live the life that you do.

Validation: undistie

Grubbermeister said...

My back is cursing me for Thursday's tree trimming event.

Wolfie said...

I'm surprised you don't have your hands full of blisters....again. :)