Friday, February 5, 2010

Return to an old interest

Decided to revisit for the fourth time one of my favorite books, Sir Martin Gilbert's The First World War: A Complete History, which I haven't read since the age of eighteen. Within the last few days the passion for history that I had as a teenager, for some reason, has rekindled.

The Great War in particular has held my interest since childhood, which is probably due to the stories my grandmother would tell me about her brother's experiences on the Western Front in 1918 (he was exposed to mustard gas, though it would take nearly twelve years for him to finally succumb to its effects). The culmination of events that lead to the conflict, the aspects of the war itself, and the fact that its repercussions are still being dealt with by individuals and nations ninety two years after the cessation of hostilities are fascinating. Well, to me, at least...

1 comment:

The Stash Dauber said...

maybe this could be a field of study for the "book club"...