Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Well... yes

For the past few weeks I have found myself listening to orchestral works, and in particular to compositions by Holst (The Planets), Handel (Oboe Concerto No. 1 in B flat major and Oboe Concerto No. 2 in B flat major)... and to be particularly particular, Vaughan Williams (whose work, The Lark Ascending, was posted on this blog last Friday).

The keen-eyed reader/classical music buff/web searching sleuth/all the above/none of the above may have noticed that the composers mentioned above are English (well, technically George Frideric Handel was German but so is the Royal Family, and they're considered quintessentially irrelevant British) and some might conclude *cough* Ken *cough* that this is due to my acute Anglophilia. That very well may be true but I fear that I'm straying from the main point of this post, as riveting as it is.

Alluding admittance? Possibly. Back to the studio, so to speak...

On Monday I acquired the Decca double CD release Vaughan Williams: Orchestral Works via Amazon. Barring the flimsy casing (the lid disintegrated while attempting to remove the security seal) the music is a welcome addition to the collection. One of my favorites from this collection:






(Performed by the Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields with Celia Nicklin on oboe and conducted by Neville Marriner)

No comments: